What To Do If I’m Experiencing A Water Damage Emergency
Did you know that on average in the United States alone, 14,000 Americans face a type of water damage emergency? With over $13 billion annually being spent on water damage repairs and mitigation. Water and flood damages can affect any property, regardless of age, or geographical location.
Time means damage, and once a water-related emergency occurs, it is crucial for the homeowner or business owner to act fast! 1st Call Restoration has 5 quick tips on what you can do if you are experiencing a water damage emergency.
- 1. Protect Yourself and your possessions
Water damage in any form is potentially harmful for your health and well being. Water can cause serious contamination in a matter of minutes to weeks, such as flood dangers to mold growth.
- Shut off any electricity by turning off your main circuit breakers and unplugging electronics, appliances, lamps, and televisions.
- If you are in danger of flooding, it’s important to evacuate the area until local authorities announce it is safe to return home. Grab your necessities, valuable documents, and any animals within your home, and follow your evacuation plan.
- When re-entering your property after any water damage, wear a pair of rubber gloves, boots, and a protective face mask to keep from breathing in any pollutants such as mold.
- 2. Stop the water damage
If you have the ability to get to your main water valve outside, turn it off immediately. It’s important to stop the source of your water problem, and in order to do that you must first find it.
- If you notice water rings on your ceiling, bring out a local expert to assess and pinpoint the source of your leak.
- Keep a close eye out for any signs of mildew, or mold such as foul odors, discolored ceilings, and baseboards.
- 3. Contact your friends here at 1st Call Restoration!
- Call us as soon as possible! We may be able to save you from filling an insurance claim, while keeping you under or near your deductible. In the event your water damage is excessive, we can help be the mediator between you and your insurance adjuster. Making sure that you are completely taken care of, as you should be.
- 4. Dry things out
If you are able to start drying out your property within 24 hours after your water damage took place, completing this process in fewer than 4 days, you are able to drastically eliminate the growth of any mold or mildew. This will decrease further damages, as well as safety concerns.
- Remove all furniture from flooded areas if possible.
- Remove and hang any rugs out to dry.
- Use fans and dehumidifiers to help dry out areas that are wet.
- Turn your air conditioning to the ‘on’ setting in order to help remove some humidity, if this is safe to do so.
- Professional grade equipment used for restoration purposes may be needed if the water damage is severe enough.
- 5. Clean and restore your property
The aftermath of a water damage emergency takes time and effort in order to address. Experts such as those within our team here at 1st Call Restoration are highly effective in preventing further complications caused by water damage.
- Once it is safe to go inside the home, it’s time to make some tough decisions. Determine what is salvageable, and discard anything that is heavily damaged, and/or no longer safe for use. This includes any electronics that may have been affected.
- If the damage is severe enough, drywall, insulation, flooring, sub-flooring, carpeting and baseboards may need to be removed and replaced to prevent mildew and/or mold growth.
- Water is heavily destructive and invasive. Within no time, water is able to get into places that you cannot see, or potentially even get to. It’s important to have a team of professionals assess the situation. At 1st Call Restoration, our team has access to water mitigation equipment such as moisture detectors, hydrometers, cameras, dehumidifiers, and much more to locate residual water.
- When it comes to your damaged property, valuables, and assets, it’s important to seek professional advice. Some items such as clothing, some furniture, documents, and electronics can be restored with specialty equipment.
Contact 1st Call Restoration today for any of your water damage restoration needs!
1st Call Restoration is located within East Texas, and is your most comprehensive source for all your residential and commercial restoration service needs. Give us a call today at 903-287-6400, 24/7 to learn about how our highly trained team of water mitigation professionals can assist you in restoring your home, life, and peace of mind.